Sunday, August 8, 2010

Winter is Coming in Spring 2011

Fantasy readers will know that some book series go on forever. Sadly, Robert Jordan died leaving his Wheel of Time series unfinished. Let that be a warning to you Mr George R R Martin. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and keep writing! The fate of too many fictional characters and unresolved plots is at stake.

I have mixed feelings about the HBO adaption of A Game of Thrones. Of course it's every fan's dream to see it realised with a big budget and fitting actors. There's a fantastic website with up to the minute news on the anticipated Spring 2011 release called Winter is Coming with a cast list longer than Little Dorrit, and that's only from the first book. BUT... what about the rest of the book series? I want my closure!


There are only two series I've fantasized about adapting if I'd been tv writer. This one, A Song of Ice and Fire, and other one by Robin Hobb, The Farseer Trilogy. What sets these 2 writers apart from the seething mass of humdrum fantasy out there is character development. It deserves its own blog post where I can gush freely about my Farseer-love. I've converted plenty of people to Robin Hobb's writing, far more than the measly few who've taken to North and South! Has anyone read Robin Hobb? What did you think of Fitz and the Fool?

6 comments:

Avalon said...

I have not seen this. Will have to check it out.

Traxy said...

I've not read Martin or Hobb, but I'm pretty sure hubby's read both. I know he's an RR Martin fan at least. I'm looking forward to seeing the adaptation and at some point, I'll get around to reading the books as well.

It's a great shame Robert Jordan died. At least the series will be ended, by Brian Sanderson or whatever his name is. Hubby has read the first one, but I've not had the time yet. The second is coming out in November, and the very last one is due out autumn next year, I believe. So at least he's getting it done, and according to hubby, he's doing it pretty well too. :) Think I'll start reading it soon, actually.

Starheart said...

Hi Traxy, I've read Sanderson's Mistborn (book 1 of the trilogy) and it's inventive and cool especially if you enjoyed metallurgy in uni. BUT, I can't bring myself to read any more WOT until it's confirmed finished though. Rereads just break my heart but not in a good way like Robin Hobb does.

Fanny/iz4blue said...

I'm excited for this series for the shallow reason to catch Sean Bean on screen in a HBO production!
Thinking about reading the books but I think I prefer to be spoiler free, not sure whether it could help knowing more backstory...

Starheart said...

@ is4blue: It's a nice role for him, but his character Ned Stark won't be in it as much as the wife and kids.
Having backstory can't hurt, but of all the adaptions, you'd want no spoilers for this one. DO NOT READ ANY BOOK BLURBS. Changes happen abruptly and are hard to predict!If you start, you'll get snowballed in and read for hours on end. I can't imagine they could do the series justice and would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Fanny/iz4blue said...

Thanks for the heads-up (lowered my SB expectation) and the sound advice. Yes, prefer to be pleasantly surprised.